Partner Emeritus and Afilliate
Dr. Levey graduated from Philips Academy, Andover, Massachusetts in 1951 and received the Philips Society Prize. From there, he entered Princeton University and received his degree Magna cum Laude in Biology in 1955. He entered Harvard Medical School and graduated with honours in 1959. Dr. Levey entered the surgical residency program at Massachusetts General Hospital, graduating as chief resident in 1968. He then spent two years in London as a visiting consultant in paediatric surgery at the Hospital for Sick Children on the thoracic surgical service.
Recognizing the need to delve further into basic research with the goal of improving the clinical outcomes of what was then considered “experimental surgery,” he spent two years at the National Institutes of Health in Bethesda, Maryland, and then in London for two years at the National Institutes for Medical Research working with the famed Sir Peter Medawar, the Nobel Laureate in Medicine in 1960.
Having completed his clinical training in general thoracic and paediatric surgery and having spent four years in basic research, Dr. Levey joined the faculty of Harvard Medical School in the department of surgery at Boston Children’s Hospital and the Division of Medical Sciences (Immunology). He received academic tenure in 1975. Dr. Levey founded the Organ Transplantation Program and served as chief of the unit for fifteen years. He performed the first successful bone marrow, kidney and liver transplants at the hospital.
Dr. Levey was a Mosleley Fellow in Medicine at HMS, a Markle Scholar in medicine and Faculty Research Associate of the American Cancer Society. He was a member of the Biology Advisory Council at Princeton University and the Transplantation and Immunology Committee at NIH. He has held visiting Professorships at European and North American Universities and was elected a full member of the College de France. In the early 1970s, Dr. Levey developed a new class of immunosuppressive agents that are still clinically utilized.
In 1979, Dr. Levey founded Healthcare International. He served as chairman for fourteen years and raised the £185 million required to build a 250 bed state-of-the-art teaching hospital in Glasgow, Scotland. At that time it was the largest start-up company in the UK. He had developed the functional plan, obtained the necessary permissions, and worked closely with the Scottish Development Agency and the UK Treasury. The hospital was acquired by the Abu Dhabi Investment Authority and by Sheik Khalifa bin Zayed al Nahyan, the President of the United Arab Emirates. It is now an integral part of the Scottish National Health Services where it is known as “The Golden Jubilee Hospital.”
Dr. Levey was on the Board of Directors of Montgomery Medical Ventures (MMV) for 10 years starting in 1985. MMV was one of the largest medical venture capital funds in the States and Dr. Levey served on the Boards of Directors of many of its start-up companies.
During the 1990s, Dr. Levey served as a developer for a series of international hospitals in Europe and the Middle East. He was one of the founders of Bio Istanbul and the Bio City Development Company.